GBR is structured as a non-profit Association, which is administered by aBoard of Directors and governed by a Constitution.
The Global Board of Directors are elected and appointed by the Convener from among the National Membership at the Constitutive General Assembly of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) on a biennial basis.
It is composed of a Convener, General Secretary, Treasurer, and other members representing different countries and regions.
The Global Board of Directors is charged with directing the policy and management of the organization on an on-going basis. Its administrative arm, the GBR Secretariat, carries out the policies of the organization as directed by the Board. South Africa is the host of the GBR Secretariat, which is headed by the Convener.
The Secretariat is responsible for providing all member services, organizing launches (Domestic and International), Trade Missions, GBR Main Events, Mentoring and Coaching, Global Economic Data and Trade Information Centers, manage the GBR Global Policy, Trade and Research Program, GBR Projects as well as providing necessary Administrative, Logistical and Coordinating Support to GBR Members.
FUNCTIONS AND GOVERNANCE OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Organisation is administered by a Board of Directors composed of the Convener/President, General Secretary, Treasurer and other members appointed from different countries and regions to ensure pro rata representation.
The Board of Directors meets at least twice annually and also by special discretion of the Convenor. At such a meeting, any numbers of Members of the Board who are present constitute a quorum, and decisions are made by a simple majority vote.
The Convenor and the Board of Directors may from time to time co-opt a person to the board who in their opinion will add value to the functioning of the board in terms of skills or geographical representation.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND POWER OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- The Board has the responsibility to carry out the directives and policies of the General Assembly/ International Council.
- To recommend the appointment of external auditors and fix their remuneration.
- To direct and control the activities of the Secretariat.
- To appoint or remove the Staff of the organisation and determine the terms and conditions of their service.
- To establish special committees
DUTIES OF THE CONVENOR / CHAIRMAN
- The Convener presides over all meetings of the organization and is responsible for the conduct of business at such meetings.
- Puts any motion from members to the vote and declares the results.
- At the Annual General Assembly meeting, submits a report on the working of the organization for the preceding accounting period, together with a statement of accounts drawn up and signed by the Board of Directors and certified by the Auditors.
The Secretariat is the administrative organ of GBR, it carries out the policies of the organisation, as directed by the Board of Directors. It submits to the Board recommendations on programmes which it believes are in the best interest of the organisation also liaising with Governments and Organisation both nationally and internationally and represent GBR at all functions.
- It carries out appropriate research on economic or other matters of interest to GBR Members.
- It maintains regular contact with members, keeping them informed of the organisational activities.
- It organises conferences, seminars, workshops, tours and other business, professional, spiritual and promotional activities for the members of GBR.
- It carries out other lawful functions as may be assigned to it by the Board of Directors.
Tel: +27 11 242 8000
Fax: +27 11 242 8001